Thursday, September 15, 2016

Track Laying on my First Module

Well its only been 2+ months since my last post...  *sigh*.  Summer is busy, but its no excuse!  I did manage to accomplish something since the last post however...the long awaited first module now has track on it!

For those that are wondering, I'm using Atlas Code 83 flex.  As this is really my first time track laying, I ran into a few snags already.  The first one can be seen below...
Busted ties.

Long story short, I quickly learned that even gently tacking a 'spike' into a solid tie will not cause a hole, but rather a true snap.  After getting a nailset, the progress was still somewhat daunting, albeit doable, as seen below.  And of course, I used a pin vice to begin the holes in each of the ties, it is a learning curve, but I'm starting to get the hang of it!
Round two, perfection!
And now, the finished product, (for now obviously as there is no scenery nor detail done thus far), can be viewed in both overhead and straight-on views below.
Module # 1, take one.
Module #1, take two.


Thats all for now folks!  This was completed back in July, just got around to posting it now.  The next step is to make the rails rusty, stay tuned...

- Caleb

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caleb, good luck with your module! For the next one, instead of using nails, try tube caulking. It's cheap and you can spread thin, let dry overnight and boom, solid track sin the morning! I have no nails on my layout track work!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christian! Appreciate the tip, I guess I'm old school though, and I like using the track nails haha!

    ReplyDelete